Common Core State Standards
"The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort coordinated by the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices (NGA Center) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO). The standards were developed in collaboration with teachers, school administrators, and experts, to provide a clear and consistent framework to prepare our children for college and the workforce…"
"These standards define the knowledge and skills students should have within their K-12 education careers so that they will graduate high school able to succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing academic college courses and in workforce training programs.
Letter to Illinois parents about the Common Core State Standards translated into Spanish, Polish, Chinese, and Arabic.
- Are aligned with college and work expectations;
- Are clear, understandable and consistent;
- Include rigorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills;
- Build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards;
- Are informed by other top performing countries, so that all students are prepared to succeed in our global economy and society; and
- Are evidence-based."
- National PTA - Common Core Initiative
- Common Core Standards Webinar
The National Governors Association Center for Best Practices (NGA Center) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) are hosting this webinar to discuss the content of the Common Core State Standards, with presenters Bill McCallum, lead writer on the Common Core State Standards writing team for mathematics, and Jim Patterson, a writer from the Common Core State Standards writing team for English language arts.
- Common Core Standards PowerPoint Slideshow
Presented June 2010 by the National Governors Association (NGA) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO), this presentation provides answers to many of the difficult questions being asked by the public.
- ISBE / Common Core Incorporation of the Illinois Learning Standards with the Common Core State Standards
Designed to provide understanding of what the Illinois State Board of Education has done in transitioning to full adoption of the new Common Core State Standards, this ISBE sponsored website has state-based information appropriate for teachers, administrators, parents, and the general public. Be sure to view the video (through the link below) on ""What Illinois Teachers [and Parents] Should Know About the Common Core Standards.""