July 9, 2018
Posted by Administrator on 7/16/2018
At the Committee of the Whole meeting on July 9, 2018, the Board discussed the following topics:
- Karen Janettas, Director of Special Education and Student Services, discussed the new Student Risk Screening Scale (SRSS) tool. Teachers use SRSS to monitor and identify students who may need additional support or interventions related to Social-Emotional Learning. It will be used in the fall, winter, and spring to monitor student behavior and progress to ensure all students have the tools they need to succeed. A presentation is available on BoardDocs.
- Dr. Lynn Zeder, Assistant Superintendent, presented an initial proposal for a delegation of 20 Orland School District 135 representatives to travel to China for an education immersion and learning experience over spring break in March of 2019.
- District 135 has a long history of hosting a delegation of educators from China so they can learn about the American public school system.
- On their last trip to Orland Park, the delegation extended an invitation to help organize a trip for our staff to visit them.
- The Board was in support of moving forward, so a committee will begin accepting applications from staff who are interested in attending.
- The goal of this trip would be to create Global Ambassadors in the District who would not only serve as a liaison when the Chinese delegation comes to visit, but will also share their experiences and knowledge with staff members throughout the year.
- Dr. Lynn Zeder, Assistant Superintendent, discussed the curriculum, English Language Learners, and special education grants and how much money the District can expect to receive for the 2018-19 school year compared with the past two years. These graphs can be found on BoardDocs.
- The Board and Administration considered moving the Treasurer’s Report at the agenda of regular Board of Education meetings to the updates section at the end of the agenda in the interest of saving time. It was noted the report will still be publicly available through BoardDocs, and Board members will review it prior to each regular meeting, but the report would no longer be read out loud. The Board and Administration agreed to the change moving forward.
- The Board of Education reviewed an Intergovernmental Agreement between the Village of Orland Park and Orland School District 135. This agreement is similar to that of District 230’s and will allow the two government agencies to share necessary information.
At the regular Board of Education meeting on July 9, 2018, the Board approved all items on the agenda. To view the agenda and associated documents, visit BoardDocs.